At the meeting in June Jenny began by updating us on progress on the work being done for the forth-coming film about the Battle of Fenny Bridges. She has a group of enthusiastic workers making a banner, hats and costumes.
Peter told about the problems he encounters in researching his German ancestors, such as reading Old German on documents.
David had been reading about old parsonages and wondering where they were as we only see and know about Georgian and Victorian residences for clergy. Where did the priests live?
Hugh is continuing to enjoy perusing old newspapers for items about Plymouth Argyle!
Brenda, also reading old newspapers, is piecing together the story behind a bigamist marriage that took place in Feniton Church in 1862 between two strangers to the village, the bride, a Sidmouth girl, and she found in a 1855 newspaper the tale of a cook in the household of the Rector of Thorverton who was taken ill, thought to have cholera but by the time the doctor arrived had given birth to a baby.
We heard that the boundary stone in Ottery Road, so carefully planned and ceremoniously installed had been demolished by the Council worker cutting the grass.
The next meeting will be on July 5th in the Nog Inn at 8.00pm