Feniton History Group held the 84th meeting in The Nog Inn

It is with sadness I mentioned to the Group that Chris Saunders has left our membership, we will miss his expertise and company.

The last two events we have held in the church were wonderful, but due to bad weather the attendance has been poor.

The talk by Jim Woolley and Bob Neal on "Ottery's Sacrifice", the book tells of the men and families affected by WW1, was well received and very poignant, seeing the Commonwealth War Graves in France and Belgium. The book is available from The Curious Otter Book Shop.

Thank  you to Jim and Bob for an informative evening.

David has picked up on the name Lady J. Rickman from the Kelly Directories dated 1893 and 1889 each mention her charity of £25 for Public Use. She is a puzzle, and does not seem to be in any listing on line.  The search is ongoing, so watch this space.
Do have any suggestions? Where did the compilers of the directories get their information?

In a DFHS magazine from 1994 David found in a book shop gave detail of a fire in Ottery St Mary, a messenger went from Ottery to the station at Feniton to telegraph the message to Exeter, the cause was children in a cottage playing with matches in a cottage off Jesu Street  was the cause  article written by Jean Harris.

He also found a volume of the Devonshire Transactions containing notes on the Devon Dialect.

Geoff, who volunteers in the Devon Record Office, is cataloguing papers from the Garret Family of Bishops Court, the papers hold details of their taxes. It was cheaper to hire a coach and horses then to own one, due to the tax. The estate was sold to John Garrett in 1830, he made his fortune from tea.  Of late is was used by W.E. Taylor a paint company

George on one of his walks has visited Redlake China Clay, here are a couple of links to the area:

Alan tells us: You never know what will turn up from the past, boxes containing military orders for King Philip’s Spanish Armada have been found.

Even a “new” type of dinosaur has been found.

Brenda has found an article in the Western Times detailing the first train to come down the rail line, stopping at Feniton. It had 20 carriages and 3 trains. The day was a wet one with fast falling rain  and a solar eclipse at the time. Speeches were made £300  had been spent on the  road to Sidmouth. Sir  John Kennaway went to lunch with  the navies.

Was the Back Drive to Escot put in to aid access to the station for the railway access?
This is disproved by Rev. Swete’s visit to Escot, see below*

Many commentators say how beautiful East Devon is.
John Leland came through in 1542.
Celia Fiennes travelled through in 1698 and remarked what a good road it was from Exeter to Honiton.

In 1795 the Reverend Swete made his "Picturesque Tour of Devon" and describes his visit to Escot. *"Northward of the house I came to some iron gates that opened onto a public road contiguous which was a cottage that had been formerly used as a lodge.”

 Thackeray  was at Larkbeare:
Major Carmichael-Smyth,  step father  to Thackeray,  retired to Larkbeare,  near Ottery St. Mary, in South Devon, which he rented from the local potentate. Sir John Kennaway, setting up as a small country squire or gentleman-farmer. There he reaped his crops, brewed cider, and shot partridges, while his wife drove in her carriage with a footman
on the box, to visit the neighbours. Larkbeare was the Fairoaks, Ottery St. Mary the Clavering St. Mary, and  Exeter the Chatteris of  his novel “Pendennis”.

Jenny has been asked to help with a film covering the Battle of Fenny Bridges, using her research as a basis.

There seems to be “Treacle Mines” in Feniton according to a post on Facebook page Feniton Focus. 

KENNAWAY Sir John Bt. Passed peacefully in Worcester Royal Hospital on October 22nd, 2017, aged 84 years, after a short illness. Published in the Malvern Gazette on 10th November 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment