Mr Peter Barnes' email and photos.


We have had a wonderful email from Mr. Peter Barnes who was evacuated to Feniton in the war, he stayed with Mr & Mrs Hapgood at Thorne. I copy it here along with the photos, they are lovely, thank you Peter.

Dear Christine 


Although I am not a member of the Feniton History Group I have been reading the meeting reports with much interest  

In your 44th meeting on Thurs 14th Nov 2013 in Feniton Church comment was made of  "The Acland film Showing" and included there was mention of a Mr Habgood (spelt as I understand with b and not p) being the Head Gardner of the Acland Estate. 

My mother and I went down from West London to stay with Mr Robert Habgood and his wife Catherine who were living at Thorn Cottage on the 4th September 1939 the day after war was declared being our evacuation. 

I was enrolled to attend the Primary Church School located just round the corner due to start the Autumn term within the next few days. There were only two classes being the main one for the young and the other for the very young. As I remember the main classroom was divided into separate rows of desks each row representing different ages and receiving different lessons no doubt causing many problems for the teacher whose name I now cannot remember. 

I also joined the Church Choir and I remember the Choir practice used to be up at the Vicarage on Friday nights which at the time was a very dark walk with the high hedges and the glow worms hardly helped.
  
I have attached a photo of Mr and Mrs Habgood at the rear of their garden taken early spring 1940 which may possibly be of interest and two others taken when passing through the Village in 1960. The gate behind Mr Habgood led down to the quite large Kitchen Garden belonging to Feniton Court. 

I do trust your History Group remains a great organisation for all the local historic information and a total success for many years to come. 

Yours sincerely, 


                     

Peter L.Barnes


No comments:

Post a Comment