The 1st meeting on 15 Oct. 2009

There was a wide ranging discussion on the Devon dialect, field names and the details of a Title Deed Val Jones brought along. This to be transcribed and a summary written. Names of the old cottages and the ones now demolished at Beechwood Farm by the old wind pump and in Camp Field, Colesworthy. The loss of the Chestnut tree planted in the old village.  The Feniton Men who died in WW2 to be put in the Nov. Parish Magazine.

Questions was asked about “Telegraph Hill” near Ottery and the cottage Sweethams, how did the name originate? And the fields of this name where the Spar shop is now, on the right as you go down to the old village. Taken from the 1841 tithe map.

The aims of the Group are:
The first task is to catalogue and record the contents of the late Eric Yates collection held at Honiton
Museum. Chris and Geoff to see Margaret, the curator. 

House Histories

Field Names

Setting up the OPC scheme to run on GENUKI. ( On Line Parish Clerk)

Transcribe and collate the parish registers.

The group will also be a place for information swap and help to answer queries.

Genealogy of the village and our own families.

No comments:

Post a Comment