The 2nd meeting on 21 Jan 2010
Again, a very wide ranging evening. Alan told us about the line of Telegraph Signals running from Hampshire via Dorset to Plymouth, c.1796 – C. 1816, one being sited on high ground near Rockbeare. Which, must be near Long Range Hotel as there is no high ground around Rockbeare its self. We are keen to find out more.
It was also mention that in WW2 a RAF unit had a station on the top of Fairmile to deceive the German Air Craft with light beams.
The East Devon Tithe Maps are being put on line at http://www.eastdevonaonb.org.uk/Digitaltithemaps.htm
David told us about his research in to the Malherbe family who were lords of the Manor for the village at one time, and the links to other landed families in the county. The family are also said to be of “Thorn”, but the location of this is not certain. David is in touch with a person who is come to Feniton to give a talk on the Malherbes in aid of the Church Funds. The family’s arms are found in Payhembury Church.
David also spoke about the Sepulchre at the top of the “Long Walk” from the village to Rutts Lane. This to be investigated and Jo to ask the Blackmore family permission to restore the seat. It is thought to have been erected by the Hart family as a place of contemplation. Don has offered to take this on.
Geoff and Jo are planning to index the Parish Magazines.
The OPC (On Line Parish Clerk) for Feniton is in place and queries regarding the Grigg family and the staff at the station in the late 1800s have answered. This part of the GENUKI Devon web pages.
The query as to the meaning and origins of the word “Clapper” is sought, relating to the field known as Clapper Close beside the village hall. A sheep wash in the Vyne Stream was discussed.
Allan amused us with his dialect notes on how you reply to the question “where be you gowin’? down to Tale, over to Talaton, into Ottery, up to Honiton, over to Alfington. Never going to.........
The London Gazette found on line is a useful and interesting resource, which threw up an article on the application for patents by George Barons Northcote for his invention of a level to measure the contents of fluid in a cask in 1872 and a boot scraper in 1877. David thinks this is the son of the rector, of the same name. Born, 16 Jan 1845, d Oct 1915. He was a civil engineer.
Brenda had spoken to JM Kennaway about the Foundry at Fairmile, nothing known. Escot is to set up an history archive.
The collection of the Late Eric Yates, held in the Honiton Museum is to be the main project. The thirty or so boxes need to be catalogued and looked at to see what is there. The next meeting will in the Museum and to be set up with the help of the Curator, Margaret Lewis and Geoff.